Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Next Anna?


Ever since I was little, I knew I was destined to do something creative. Perhaps it was the paint that I always smothered myself with or the poufy Cinderella dress I adored and experimented with. But I knew. In the past few years, I truly discovered the world of fashion-- I became an avid reader at all the major blogs, flipped through all the latest runway photos, and ravaged several magazines in a day.

For a while, I wanted to be a fashion designer. But due to my lacking of artistic abilities, that was not an option. Then I wanted to work as a fashion merchandiser or a PR girl. But those didn't sound entirely right to me either. I mean, don't get me wrong, I would love to work in fashion PR or merchandising or buying but I knew something else was my calling.

Finally, I figured it out, and I wanted to work at a magazine. I started to lay my foundation down by doing an internship at Merrimack Valley Magazine last summer. I learned the basics-- how a magazine worked, AP Style, and magazine jargon. Now I'm a contributing writer at Mochi, an online magazine for Asian American girls.

Little by little, babystep by babystep, I've managed to come this far. Although it's not even really a foot in the door, I hope this will eventually land me a job in the industry. The competition is fierce-- it's full of beautiful, intelligent, likeable, witty, and fashionable girls. I may be one of them, but that's it. I'm onl one in hundreds and hundreds that are willing to work for this and that magazine.

But I'm sure no matter what, that God will lead me. It'll work out someway or another. Perhaps the magazine industry isn't my calling. I've always wanted to be a lawyer. :P

No comments: