Saturday, January 3, 2009

Ben Button



In my sophomore English class year, we had to read two works written by F. Scott Fitzgerald- the Great Gatsby, the famous work by Fitzgerald that propelled him to fame & Bernice Bobs Her Hair, a beautifully written short story. Recently, the Curious Case of Benjamin Button was released. This movie is based on a short story written by Fitzgerald. I have not only once this winter break but twice! I watched it the first time with my boyfriend, and it was a miracle he was able to endure the three hour movie. I do admit it was a decent movie, but the beginning was a bit slow. The second time I saw it I did so with my friends, which was better but still boring at parts.

So the movie. I thought it was okay- the plot was interesting & thought inducing & definately creative, but the screenplay was a bit awkward at places. However, the costumes were fantastic & so was the soundtrack! Definately loved Bethena (A Concert Waltz) by Scott Joplin played by Benjamin Button at several places in the movie. Both Brad Pitt & Cate Blanchett did a fabulous job- this is also the first movie that made me realize how attractive Brad Pitt was. Hahah.

And as I watched it the second time tonight (or rather last night) with three of my best friends, I paid more attention to detail, and made me appreciate it a bit more. This also compelled me to read the short story that inspired it. The actual story that it's based upon is completely different from the movie, but Fitzgerald's comfortable narrative & beautifully painted scenes make it a worthwhile read. Why don't you try it?

No comments: